Shotgun Tune Up & Master Test
The combat shotgun is one of the easiest weapons to learn to shoot, but also one of the hardest to truly master. We usually only get to test our skills on the FAS Shotgun master test (detailed below) in the Advanced Defensive Shotgun class every couple of years. This class will provide a tune up of our shotgun skills and a run at the Shotgun Master Test.
**We do not currently have this class on the schedule for 2022 or 2023. Please check back for future dates**
Prerequisite: FAS Defensive Shotgun - Student will be required to present a state-issued license to carry a concealed handgun, military or police identification or other form of background check prior to participation.
$50 discount for retakes or if you have taken Advanced Defensive Shotgun. Must register by phone to receive discount.
Advanced Defensive Shotgun Equipment List
- 12 gauge, 20 gauge, or .410 shotgun with shoulder stock (no pistol grip only shotguns).
- 150-200 rounds lead bird shot. (100 minimum, 32 rounds required for master test) If you are using a pump shotgun, buy inexpensive low-brass birdshot. If you are using a semi-auto shotgun, your ammunition must have enough power to cycle the gun, which may require high brass field loads for birdshot. Test your loads through your semi-auto shotgun before class, or if you are unable to do so, buy the high brass field loads to be sure your semi-auto shotgun will cycle the shells. We recommend field grade, high brass #4 or #6 bird shot with a dram equivalent of 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 for semi-autos. We do not stock shotgun ammunition, so please make sure your ammo will cycle your semi-auto shotgun.
- 40 rounds non-magnum lead buckshot (30 minimum, test requires 20 for two runs)
- 40 rounds of slugs (25 minimum, Test requires 20 for two runs)
- Ear protection and wrap-around safety glasses (eye protection)
- Notebook and pen
- Please bring a sack lunch and beverages--we will eat during classroom lecture.
- PAST recoil shield suggested for thin or slightly built students.
FAS SHOTGUN MASTER TEST
Test One (50 Yards): Accuracy: Student will shoot 2 slugs standing, 2 slugs left side cover left handed, 2 slugs right side cover right handed, 2 slugs kneeling and 2 slugs sitting or prone into IPSC target. No time limit. Must have all C-zone hits or better. Target set at 50 yards.
Test Two (10 Yards): Speed: Student will face 5 pepper poppers. ON signal must knock down one popper within one second. Repeat 5 times. Buckshot used.
Test Three (10 Yards): Multiple hits: Student will face one steel silhouette, and from low ready, will fire two shots under 1.2 sec. (1.4 for pump). Repeat 3 times to pass.
Test Four (10 Yards): Multiple targets/manipulation. Facing 10 pepper poppers, student will start at low ready with shotgun loaded with 5 rounds. On signal, student will shoot down 5 poppers, reload and shoot down other 5 poppers. Time limit, 20 seconds semi, 25 seconds pump. May pick up a missed popper, but must do so within time limit.
Note: Each student will get two tries at each part of the test and must pass each at least once to make FAS Shotgun Master. All shooting starts from low ready (45 degree), safety on, finger indexed on frame of shotgun. Instructor will use electronic timer or start stopwatch on whistle and blow whistle for .5 seconds before the end of the drill. Any shots fired after the whistle are noted as an overtime shot, and results in a “did not pass.”
|Event Date||05-22-2022 9:00 am|
|Event End Date||05-22-2022 5:00 pm|
|Cut off date||05-19-2022 1:00 pm|
|Location||Firearms Academy Range|
Venue - Firearms Academy Range