Advanced Defensive Shotgun
The combat shotgun is one of the easiest weapons to learn to shoot, but also one of the hardest to truly master. In Advanced Defensive Shotgun we will train the student in the following areas of tactical shotgun use: long range shotgunning, moving targets, multiple targets, multiple hits, low light, use of horizontal and vertical cover both strong side and weak side, moving and shooting and man-on-man competitions. Program includes opportunity to challenge your skills against the FAS Shotgun Master Test (detailed below).
Prerequisite: our Defensive Shotgun course, or equivalent from another school. Students who are slightly built may want to consider purchasing a PAST recoil pad, due to the amount of shooting we do in this course. Student will be required to present a state-issued license to carry a concealed handgun, military or police identification or other form of background check prior to participation.
$100 discount for retakes. Must register by phone to receive discount.
Advanced Defensive Shotgun Equipment List
- 12 gauge or 20 gauge shotgun with full length stock.
- 300 rounds lead bird shot. If you are using a pump shotgun, buy inexpensive low-brass birdshot. If you are using a semi-auto shotgun, your ammunition must have enough power to cycle the gun, which may require high brass field loads for birdshot. Test your loads through your semi-auto shotgun before class, or if you are unable to do so, buy the high brass field loads to be sure your semi-auto shotgun will cycle the shells. We recommend field grade, high brass #4 or #6 bird shot with a dram equivalent of 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 for semi-autos. We do not stock shotgun ammunition, so please make sure your ammo will cycle your semi-auto shotgun.
- 100 rounds non-magnum buckshot
- 50 rounds of slugs
- Ear protection and wrap-around safety glasses (eye protection)
- Notebook and pen
- Please bring a sack lunch and beverages--we will eat during classroom lecture.
- PAST recoil shield suggested for thin or slightly built students.
FAS SHOTGUN MASTER TEST
Test One: Accuracy: Student will shoot 2 slugs standing, 2 slugs left side cover, 2 slugs right side cover, 2 slugs kneeling and 2 slugs sitting or prone into IPSC target. No time limit. Must have all C-zone hits or better. Target set at 50 yards.
Test Two: Speed: Student will face 5 pepper poppers. ON signal must knock down popper within one second. Repeat 5 times. Buckshot used. 10 yards, start with shotgun at Low Ready, safety on, finger outside trigger guard.
Test Three: Multiple hits: Student will face one steel silhouette, and from low ready, will fire two shots under 1.2 sec. (1.4 for pump). Repeat 3 times to pass.
Test Four: Multiple targets/manipulation. Facing 10 pepper poppers, student will start at high ready with shotgun loaded with 5 rounds. On signal, student will shoot down 5 poppers, reload and shoot down other 5 poppers. Time limit, 20 seconds semi, 25 seconds pump. May pick up a missed popper, but must do so within time limits.
|08-17-2019 10:00 am|
Venue - Firearms Academy Range
Please note that this is a private range. There is no public access, other than for scheduled classes / events. Contact us for driving directions.