Advanced Defensive Shotgun
The combat shotgun is one of the easiest weapons to learn to shoot, but also one of the hardest to truly master. In Advanced Defensive Shotgun we will train the student in the following areas of tactical shotgun use: long range shotgunning, moving targets, multiple targets, multiple hits, low light, use of horizontal and vertical cover both strong side and weak side, moving and shooting and man-on-man competitions. Program includes opportunity to challenge your skills against the FAS Shotgun Master Test (detailed below).
Please check back as this class will not be happening in 2022.
For a run at the Shotgun Master Test, please check out our new Shotgun Tune Up and Master Test 1-Day class on 5/22/2022
Prerequisite: This is a Level 2 class. Please consult the course descriptions for the Level 1 Defensive Shotgun course before enrolling in the Advanced Defensive Shotgun Course. While students are welcome to start their training with the Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc. at Level Two, they must have a firm grasp and understanding of the curriculum of our Level One courses.
Students who are slightly built may want to consider purchasing a PAST recoil pad, due to the amount of shooting we do in this course.
$100 discount for retakes. Must register by phone to receive discount.
Advanced Defensive Shotgun Equipment List
- 12 gauge, 20 gauge, or .410 shotgun with shoulder stock (no pistol grip only shotguns).
- 300 rounds lead bird shot. If you are using a pump shotgun, buy inexpensive low-brass birdshot. If you are using a semi-auto shotgun, your ammunition must have enough power to cycle the gun, which may require high brass field loads for birdshot. Test your loads through your semi-auto shotgun before class, or if you are unable to do so, buy the high brass field loads to be sure your semi-auto shotgun will cycle the shells. We recommend field grade, high brass #4 or #6 bird shot with a dram equivalent of 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 for semi-autos. We do not stock shotgun ammunition, so please make sure your ammo will cycle your semi-auto shotgun.
- 100 rounds non-magnum lead buckshot
- 50 rounds of slugs
- Ear protection and wrap-around safety glasses (eye protection)
- Notebook and pen
- Please bring a sack lunch and beverages--we will eat during classroom lecture.
- PAST recoil shield suggested for thin or slightly built students.
FAS SHOTGUN MASTER TEST
Test One (50 Yards): Accuracy: Student will shoot 2 slugs standing, 2 slugs left side cover left handed, 2 slugs right side cover right handed, 2 slugs kneeling and 2 slugs sitting or prone into IPSC target. No time limit. Must have all C-zone hits or better. Target set at 50 yards.
Test Two (10 Yards): Speed: Student will face 5 pepper poppers. ON signal must knock down one popper within one second. Repeat 5 times. Buckshot used.
Test Three (10 Yards): Multiple hits: Student will face one steel silhouette, and from low ready, will fire two shots under 1.2 sec. (1.4 for pump). Repeat 3 times to pass.
Test Four (10 Yards): Multiple targets/manipulation. Facing 10 pepper poppers, student will start at low ready with shotgun loaded with 5 rounds. On signal, student will shoot down 5 poppers, reload and shoot down other 5 poppers. Time limit, 20 seconds semi, 25 seconds pump. May pick up a missed popper, but must do so within time limit.
Note: Each student will get two tries at each part of the test and must pass each at least once to make FAS Shotgun Master. All shooting starts from low ready (45 degree), safety on, finger indexed on frame of shotgun. Instructor will use electronic timer or start stopwatch on whistle and blow whistle for .5 seconds before the end of the drill. Any shots fired after the whistle are noted as an overtime shot, and results in a “did not pass.”
|Event Date||10-06-2018 10:00 am|
|Event End Date||10-07-2018 5:00 pm|
|Location||Firearms Academy Range|